DX » Community » Reviews » Hugsby P2 Cree Q5-WC 190-Lumen 3-Mode LED Flashlight (1*AA/1*14500)
  • 5 star 28 ( 78% )
  • 4 star 8 ( 22% )
  • 3 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 2 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Pocket Rocket Thrower!

posted by lilkevin715 on 05/18/2010

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:more than 1 month

Pros:

TIR acrylic optic gives this little light amazing throw for its size. Three modes of output available by half/soft pressing the clicky (high/medium/strobe). Flashlight can use AA Alkaline/Nimh, CR123, or 14500 battery types. The extension tube for AA/14500 batteries is necked down on the inside to prevent battery rattle. The overall build quality is very suprising in this price range. The finish is close to a HAIII type finish. The reverse-clicky switch is very good and feels solid. The metal threads came pre-lubed and are machined well. O-rings are in all the right places; survived the dunk test.

Using a Sanyo Eneloop AA Nimh battery I would guestimate the lumens rating off approximately 50-60 OTF on medium, and 130-140 OTF on high. Runtimes are 45-60 minutes on high (output constant for first 45 minutes, dimming output to 60 minutes), and 3.5 hours on medium.

Cons:

PWM on the medium setting creates a annoying buzzing sound, but it isn't too loud. Runs very warm/hot on high mode on extended runs. I would recommend running the light for no longer than 5-10 minutes on high. The metal clip is very stiff and is painted black. Possible water entry point where the clip is screwed into the body.

OtherThoughts:

I would be weary on running the light on CR123/14500 lithium batteries for long-term use. For its size its plenty bright on AA alkaline or Nimh. Using a lithium CR123 battery might net you 15 more lumens on high. If you take apart the head be VERY careful when you screw the led assembley module back in. If you apply too much pressure you can crack the optic. Mine had a date code of 2010 04 underneath the o-ring where the body meets the extension tube/end cap.

Bottomline:

Awesome little pocket thrower for the money.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections