DX » Community » Reviews » Romisen RC-A5-Q5 Cree Q5-WC 3-Mode 180-Lumen LED Flashlight - Black (1*AA/1*16340)
  • 5 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 4 star 1 ( 50% )
  • 3 star 1 ( 50% )
  • 2 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Nice solid torch, but could be better

posted by kiwijake on 04/12/2010

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:

High efficiency - delivers same light as other torches while drawing a third the current.
    Lovely build quality, glass lens, well sealed.
    Very solid and nice-looking.
    Handy clip (easily removable too).
    Nice beam pattern - enough spill to be useful.
    3 modes is nice (but see below).

Cons:

My one has an intermittent problem - occasionally it just doesn't turn on. Seems to be the PCB end, not the switch. It always comes right after a few tries.
    Low mode isn't much different to high.
    I don't really like the assault crown, would prefer a smooth front.

OtherThoughts:

I measured the battery drain on high as 0.62A, versus 0.45A on low - not that significantly different. This is much lower than other single-LED torches I've tested, even though it seems just as bright.
    Compared to sku.3607: Similar brightness, but draws about 1/3 the current, so battery will last much longer. Slightly nicer looking too. Worth the extra.
    Compared to sku.29095: Better efficiency and build quality, BUT, I really like the zoom feature of 29095, plus it is a lot cheaper.
    Compared to sku.24291: Again, much easier on batteries, but 24291 has a really good Low mode that only draws 1/10 what it draws on high. I also prefer the beam pattern and switch action of 24291 (plus I love its smooth stainless body and glow-in-the-dark O-rings).
    By the way, I've only tested this with AA batteries (both alkaline and NiMH), maybe it would be better with a lithium battery.

Bottomline:

My ideal torch would combine the build quality, efficiency and looks of this torch, with the awesome zoom head of 29095, along with the switch action and ultra-low-drain low mode (and glow-in-the-dark O-rings) of 24271.
    As it stands, I'm not sure that this one is worth the extra cost compared to the others I've tried, though if battery life is important to you, or you want to use lithium rechargeables, it's definitely worth considering. Otherwise, I'd still tend to recommend 29095 for most people.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections