DX » Community » Reviews » YONGNUO YN460 Speedlite Flash with Stands + Soft Pouch (Slave Mode/Index 33/5600K/4*AA)
  • 5 star 41 ( 73% )
  • 4 star 14 ( 25% )
  • 3 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 2 star 1 ( 2% )
  • 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Very good flash for the price! Strongly recommend!

posted by DXDAC on 06/07/2010

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:

All Modes work fine.
    S2 sync is most needed for me.
    Very good indicators.
    Good quality glossy back panel. I like it!
    Good buttons.
    Good distance as optic driven slave flash.

Cons:

Battery compartment cover hinge seems to be not reliable. Have to be more accurate with it.
    Settings (power level) at different modes set to default after power off.
    Recharging circuit produce high frequency noise too often. I mean that brand flash (Nikon SB-600 for example) keep charge longer and when waiting (power on) charging can be heard 1 time per minute or more rarely.
    This flash recharges about 1s every ~10s. A bit annoying.
    After power off for a several hours, capacitor seems to become discharged. (Long charge after power on).
    Brand SB-600 keeps charge for days. And even after days don't discharge completely.
    Probably in YN-460 there is a resistor in parallel to capacitor that discharge it (for safety purposes) or maybe losses in flash circuit or capacitor have bad self-discharge params.
    In S2 mode don't fire from some compact cameras, because some of this cameras have period between pre-flash and main-flash longer than expected.
    It's not auto flash. So 4 stars for usefulness. (But you can't expect auto for this price)
    You should know what power to set. For example it will be very hard to use it with film camera. My Nikon F80 work very well with SB-600 in auto mode. I don't know how to rely on YN-460 with film camera.
    With DSLR no problem: you can see what you get.

OtherThoughts:

I use it as slave flash. Fired by master Nikon SB-600 bounced from ceiling&walls. Works even when placed in other room (honestly not always).
    Recommend to by it as slave flash.
    You even can buy two to play with light.
    For main bounced flash strongly recommend to buy brand flash and flash cable (SKU #30437 for Nikon).

Bottomline:

I ordered one on March, 16, when it was in stock.
    Paid.
    After several days status become packaging and in next days "stock shortage".
    Wait for stock about one month.
    Received in June.
    Received two :) Thanks DX! Forgot long-long waiting after receiving this present and very happy.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections