DX » Community » Reviews » Brake Shoes with Pads for Bicycle (Pair)
  • 5 star 21 ( 84% )
  • 4 star 4 ( 16% )
  • 3 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 2 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Very nice brakes!

posted by Moto7451 on 03/26/2011

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:

I replaced ancient brake pads from a 1978 Schwinn LeTour II road bike (not your usual setup) and the braking improvement is very noticeable. 70mm pads are WAY nicer than 35mm pads lol. The brakes came in just in time to miss all the rainy weather we've had all week. Based on their performance thus-far, however, I'm sure they're going to be a massive improvement over my previous brakes that I had to employ "pump and pray" to come to any sort of stop. These are also much nicer brakes than the stock ones that came on my Schwinn Hybrid that I converted over to a 29er. I will probably get a pair for the front of that bike unless I find something more attractive.

Cons:

The contact area could be a little wider but if it was there's a good chance it wouldn't have fit on my road bike. Also there's a chance that this is an intentional design choice for rain performance but I have no way to test this ;).

OtherThoughts:

I actually installed these on a road bike by rearranging the spacers so they fit to the same extension as the stock pads. I could have installed them "properly" but I'm using an old Schwinn road bike & the caliper brakes have already been bent a little bit to get the proper angle of pad contact. This was common before modern adjustable pads and will actually irreversibly damage modern aluminum brakes (so don't do it!). It's really not even a good idea to do today but I got the bike this way so I don't have much choice. In my unique setup having solid non-adjustable brake pads is an odd advantage and much easier to get set properly in all honesty.

Bottomline:

These are nice brakes.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections