Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your reviews,
photos and videos here!

• Works wonders!

posted by ZdenekJi on 11/15/2011
    2 0

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:

This device can make your WiFi dreams come true. It has substantially higher output power than what can be bought locally in so-called "developed countries" - police states.

The device boosted the signal in the most distant room from the router by 15 dB. It went from 2 bars randomly dropping to 4 bars, rock solid connection.

I am using it with a D-link DIR-825 B. This router has bad strength out of the box - 15dBm. This is even less than what would be a maximum permitted output. The amplifier converts it to an almighty beast that finally covers the whole house.

It comes with a 5dB antenna with a R-SMA plug. The amplifier itself has a SMA female connector to connect to the AP and a R-SMA male connector to connect to the antenna. The body of the amplifier is solid cast aluminum alloy. This is needed for cooling and shielding.

The pigtail provided was needed in my case and I can't imagine any common configuration where it wouldn't.

Cons:

It won't work well with multi-antenna network cards. The card cannot lock onto the plug that is being boosted, it randomly switches to the weaker ports and the connection fails. I had this problem with Intel adapters, others may work better.

If you absolutely must use an amplifier with such a card, buy as many units as there is ports and connect them all.

OtherThoughts:

My piece arrived about 9 months after ordering, thus breaking the delay record previously set by the airsoft pistol that took 6 months to arrive.

Bottomline:

Order it in advance to be prepared.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections