• 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Hmmm. Give it some thought first.

posted by testsubject on 01/23/2011

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:more than 1 month

Pros:

Quality gooseneck construction is better than expected. It's really easy to adjust the angle and height of the light and it stays put well. Gooseneck is the highlight of this model.
    I like that it runs on batteries that you can easily buy rechargeable (albeit for more cost than the cost of this unit!).

Cons:

1) LEDs on my unit had grossly uneven light output (one was far brighter than the other)
    2) Light output has a blue tint. It's pretty 'cold' & not very relaxing compared to the yellow warm tint of a traditional incandescent light bulb you might be used to. I compared the light output to two other LED products I own: a Petzl Tikka XP headlamp and Nokia mobile phone. Both the phone and the headlamp had a nice warmer white hue which made this unit look even worse by comparison. Clearly it can be done but it wasn't here. I suppose the price says it all.
    3) battery compartment is very bulky. It's virtually impossible to clip it on any book and read and hold with comfort. Which is unfortunate because quality of construction is nothing to complain about. To me this light really isn't for book-reading but other tasks where a large clip-on light is needed.

OtherThoughts:

A far better design would be a thin clip so it can fit on any book comfortably and have the battery compartment connected with a wire.
    Blue-ish tint of LEDs and quite noticeably uneven light distribution between the two LEDs is not ideal.

Bottomline:

As a book-reading device I wouldn't buy again just based on the poor LEDs and bulky clip. For other uses such as clamping on a desk or bed stand it may be more suitable, but even then I don't like its light quality but it may be OK for occasional use for some people.
    If I wanted something to clip onto books comfortably and unobtrusively I'd look for a model with a far thinner clip and battery pack connected with a wire (I refuse to buy devices that only run on small disposable batteries).
    The flexibility of the goosenecks are the highlight here. If you want long and flexible adjustments and the other things I spoke about are less critical to you, you will be pleased. You may also be pleased if you haven't tried better (more expensive) LED light output.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections