• 1 star 1 ( 1% )
Customer’s impression:
Bad quality
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Works well with iPhone 3GS and some advice

posted by chanfl on 04/15/2010

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:

I bought this mainly to use it with my iPhone 3GS. Many car USB charger do not work with iPhone 3GS but this one works very well and it starts charging right away when it is connected.
    Most suitable application is to provide continuous charging while using power extensive apps such as GPS navigation apps that drained battery like crazy before you reach your destination.
    With this charger and some tweak(read other thoughts) I can use GPS navigation and get the phone charged while on the move.
    Of course the price is very affordable price.
    Small and very neat compare to many other big ugly USB car charger.

Cons:

One of the pin was a little loose and it drop out after a while. This caused the handle to drop later. You can put a tape to cover the pin so that it wont drop out. (check my photo so you know what i mean)
    I dont really need the handle because i always plug it in my car. Have no need to remove it so far. Furthermore, the "head" of the charger is big enough to allow you to pull out easily. otherwise, dont push it all the way in when you insert it.
    other than this the build quality is solid. Shining black color body match most car interior very well.

OtherThoughts:

Advise on how to use it effectively when using GPS apps or other apps that generate lots of heat on iPhone.
    The iPhone OS has a self protection feature to prevent overheating. GPS and battery charging both generates lots of heats. After 10 min of doing both together, the phone get too hot and the OS will stop charging the phone so that the phone is not too hot. However, GPS will continue to run and is very power hungry apps. Your phone battery will drained very fast from this point onwards.
    What I did was to move my phone near my car air con outlet so that the cool air blows directly on to the phone. With this I can charge my phone and navigate with GPS at the same time.

Bottomline:

Very affordable, neat charger.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections