Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your reviews,
photos and videos here!

• I like it

posted by alfalfa on 11/10/2007
    0 0

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:

Price for sure. I like two mode aswell. Don't need more than this, more modes just get annoying for me.

Cons:

Blew the regulator when I tried putting in two 3.7 volt lithiums. Maybe this was my fault since two full lithiums is actually 8.4 volt? So then I just converted it to direct drive with a single 18650.

OtherThoughts:

I've been doing a bit of reading about the pros and cons of direct drive and I think with a single 18650 this is a very viable option and this is a good torch to do it to. You still get two modes thanks to the resistor in the end cap. I did need a 0.47 ohm resistor to limit current to 1amp on a full battery. Also I put heatsink compound on the thread to the reflector to help keep the emitter as cool as possible. The regulator limited current to 0.6amps which is what I've now got after 90mins running. After this the regulator is no longer regulating and adding more voltage drop than what the resistor would anyway. Useful run time on high is about 3hrs. Current drops down smoothly to about 350mA over this time. Current drops to near nothing soon after this.

Bottomline:

Price is cheap and the machining and construction is very good. I like the two modes and works well as a direct drive. I'm giving this one away but I've already ordered another one as I like it so much.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections