DX » Community » Reviews » 8-LED 2-Mode Infrared Sensor Motion Activated White Lamp (2*AA)
  • 5 star 22 ( 69% )
  • 4 star 10 ( 31% )
  • 3 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 2 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Useful when you don't need a permanent light

posted by W3irdN3rd on 07/30/2010

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:

I use it in the hallway so I can see where I'm walking without searching for the light switch in the dark and waking everybody up with the big lights. It works on rechargeable batteries. It responds well to motion and can be configured so it only lights up in the dark. This works as expected. The light is well flooded, it's not a spot.

Cons:

The spring for the batteries is a bit too long, making it very hard to get the batteries in or out without damage. You'll possibly need a knife or thin screwdriver to get the batteries out. The cover simply clips on, is hard to remove and is entirely made out of hard plastic. So I'm pretty sure one day one of the clips will break.

OtherThoughts:

When the light is on, it draws 60mA from my Eneloops, so it would last somewhat over 30 hours in theory when left on all the time. In standby it draws 0.1mA so it would last in standby for.. years. I measured this with my own multimeter.
    I've compared the light output to a 7 watt lightbulb in a motion detector, it's hard to say which is brighter, also because the color temperature (cold LEDs vs. warm lightbulb) is completely different. Surprisingly, the bulb (in a motion detector housing) appears to be more focused where the LEDs seem to more flood the room. In lumen, the bulb would probably win. In perception (can I see where I'm walking?), they seem quite similar.
    It's really only a light to see where you are going, not to inspect the interior. In any room bigger than a small hallway you may want to install two of these lights.

Bottomline:

Small lights based on motion detection are quite common, but usually they have to be plugged in the wall and use a lightbulb. If you don't have an outlet available or want something that does not rely on the net, this is a great light to avoid accidents in the dark.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections