• 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• 10x25 coated binoculars

posted by zzonbi on 11/15/2008

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:more than 1 month

Pros:

-well corrected image in the center

-light and compact, yet sufficient brightness and magnification

-image keeps natural colour balance

-effective AR coatings

-sturdy, mostly metal, and protected by rubber

-oiled with thick vaseline, keeps moisture out and dampens adjustments

-comes with pouch

Cons:

-the focusing sledge wasn't keeping parallel with the optical axis (repaired in the end, but not so easy). This caused different focus for each eye.

-narrow field of view

-some pincushion distortion

-focus at center means out of focus at 50% field (towards the periphery the image deteriorates too much anyway)... not a problem though, this could come in handy as it may spare you the need to refocus on closer objects.

-could use some more eye relief and better collimation (some 5% off, not annoying though)

OtherThoughts:

FOV 5.2deg, AFOV 54.6deg

This suggests higher than 10x magnification, however the pincushion makes the image closer to 9x in the center and larger at the edge. Would have preferred it the other way, if at all (ie barrel).

I could just see the roof edges under some circumstances, and they're horizontal. The eyepiece is smallish, half the objective diameter.

Although not bad mechanically, a bit more attention during assemby or machining would suit more an item of this category.

If they made a similar bino, but wider angle, I wouldn't care now, unless maybe something 75 degrees or more, but if anyone figures how to make a proper wide angle zoom, count me in. And please, stop this 'bigger figure marking is better' obsession, at least on optical instruments ;-)

Bottomline:

A pleasant surprise in its essentials, handy and not unsturdy, not bad value, hopefully will last.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections