• 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Good Value Cycle Mount

posted by TartanVandal on 07/20/2010

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:

The mount is fairly compact, it can be adjusted horizontally and vertically. You can remove the light quickly without removing the whole mount. The mount is supplied with two rubber inserts for the handle bar bracket and a belt loop to carry the light after removing it from your bike. But the belt loop could easily be cable tied to your helmet as a helmet mount meaning you could swap your light between the handle bars and helmet in the matter of seconds.

Cons:

I am using these mounts with a pair of MTE SF-15 (also reviewed). When fitting these lights into the mount they rattled about, and that’s with the mount tightened up fully. They would not fall out because the tail cap and reflector are much wider than the battery tube. I solved this by super gluing a strip of rubber in the light mount. This both looks fine and now holds the light very securely.

I liked the fact that these could be adjusted horizontally, however the adjustment is a clicky type so you can only adjust the light in 18 degree jumps. This means it is almost pointless, you can have it pointing straight ahead or 18 degree left or right. Saying that with these super bright p7 emitters with a wide beam it is not critical exactly where they point. Shine them ahead and you will do fine. If you did need fine adjustment, set it where you want it then superglue the top and bottom section together.

The horizontal adjustment wobbles about quite a bit also so the glue would fix that also.

The mount uses finger screws to tighten up the brackets; however I much prefer calm screws so I modified mine with calm screws from my old CATEYE halogen twins. This is now much better and easier to adjust for height. If you are in traffic and concerned about dazzling oncoming traffic with your super bright lights, you can flick the calm down, adjust , then clamp it back again.

OtherThoughts:

To improve this mount, the manufacturer would have to.

1 Include a rubber sleeve for thinner lights

2 improve the horizontal swivel i.e. infinitely adjustable and less play (wobbling of light)

3 Include calm screws for handle bar clamp.

Bottomline:

This is a good mount at not a lot of money. Shame really because it could very easily have been a perfect mount. Even if that ment a couple of extra $'s.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections