• Nice tester screwdriver

posted by eliasalberto on 10/26/2012
    0 0

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:

Better than expected.
    Doesn't use batteries!
    Has a pocket clip.
    It can detect energized wires by induction, without having to peel them or touch conductive parts (shows a small lightning bolt on the LCD). So it's probably good to detect the point where a power cord is broken.
    Writing in the back of the wrapping is in relatively-understandable english! (i took a photo, let's see if they accept it)

Cons:

Writing on the screwdriver is in chinese (point deducted from "ease of use")
    Dumb SKU sticker glued over the english writing on the back of the wrapper. Tried to peel it off, but it also took whatever I was trying to read.
    Inductive detection of energized wires is not foolproof. You need to fiddle a bit to understand how to use it.
    Being really picky, I could also complain the LCD is not backlit (probably because it would require internal battery) or at least it should have a small neon lamp for when you're trying to find energized wires in awkward distances and angles.

OtherThoughts:

The "button" CLOSE to the LCD is the induction-testing thing, used to feel energized wires just by rubbing them (lightning bolt appear on the LCD).
    The "button" FAR from the LCD is the actual voltage tester.
    I guess this thing should work better if you're properly grounded.
    Thick wire insulation makes the induction testing harder to work.
    Using the induction tester: put the probe somewhat parallell to the wire being tested, press it agains the insulation and run it along the wire touching the "button" closest to the LCD. Sometimes sticking the tester before into an outlet seems to help. Keep the probe as far as possible from the wire not being tested (a bit tricky if you're testing a parallell cord)

Bottomline:

Bough three units, all came with black buttons.
    Already gave one away. Definitely useful. I'm satified.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections