Customer’s impression:
Create Review

Share your reviews,
photos and videos here!

• Detects just about anything emitting RF !

posted by HonestEngineer on 02/22/2010
    1 0

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:more than 1 month

This device does what it says it does. I removed the telescoping antenna and added a coil (loaded dipole, one-quarter wave) antenna to really improve the ability to pinpoint the device emitting the RF. Using a small parabolic reflector fabricated from 2024 aluminum, a stable and strong (and HIGHLY directional) antenna was made. With this modification, you can point it at a person 15 to 20 feet away and detect their cell phone etc...add some mini 50 ohm coax and put the box into your pocket - hold the parabolic antenna in your hand. Works great for a bug/phone and camera detector.

I replaced the 'A' and 'B' pushbuttons with push-on / push-off switches - the way the device was sent, it just had cheap surface mounted membrane switches. Replacing the audible alarm with the vibrating motor from a cell phone (I bought the mini-vibrating motor from a surplus outlet) makes this a very discreet device.

Buy it, hack it and make it your own perfect bug sniffer.

Recommended for anyone who likes to experiment or just wants to make sure they can find anything that emits an RF signature.
    Honestly, you can use it as-is and it works just fine - a few hacks/mods make it a perfect addition to your electronics tool kit!

Post comment

DX Everywhere