• 3 star 1 ( 7% )
  • 2 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Detects just about anything emitting RF !

posted by HonestEngineer on 02/22/2010

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:more than 1 month

Pros:

This device does what it says it does. I removed the telescoping antenna and added a coil (loaded dipole, one-quarter wave) antenna to really improve the ability to pinpoint the device emitting the RF. Using a small parabolic reflector fabricated from 2024 aluminum, a stable and strong (and HIGHLY directional) antenna was made. With this modification, you can point it at a person 15 to 20 feet away and detect their cell phone etc...add some mini 50 ohm coax and put the box into your pocket - hold the parabolic antenna in your hand. Works great for a bug/phone and camera detector.

Cons:

I replaced the 'A' and 'B' pushbuttons with push-on / push-off switches - the way the device was sent, it just had cheap surface mounted membrane switches. Replacing the audible alarm with the vibrating motor from a cell phone (I bought the mini-vibrating motor from a surplus outlet) makes this a very discreet device.

OtherThoughts:

Buy it, hack it and make it your own perfect bug sniffer.

Bottomline:

Recommended for anyone who likes to experiment or just wants to make sure they can find anything that emits an RF signature.
    Honestly, you can use it as-is and it works just fine - a few hacks/mods make it a perfect addition to your electronics tool kit!

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections