• 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Love/Hate this flashlight

posted by catisland on 06/15/2011

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:more than 1 month

Pros:

With one major exception noted below, seems to be very well designed and built.

VERY bright. Smooth "neutral" light except for a slight variation which isn't enough for me to call a "con". My eyes are not calibrated, but I have a smaller "320 lumen" light - sku 55244 - with an R5 emitter and this flashlight is substantially brighter. How much? I repeat this is an unqualified guess, but 500-700 lumens seems reasonable to my eye.

Cons:

The module and the casing are both very nicely built, but someone made a mistake on the fit. The module has a bevel, the case has a bevel, but the loose fit allows the module to move slightly forward and away from the tube bevel. It is behind the glass so not easy to measure directly, but the distance moved appears to be 2 or 3 mm. Plenty enough to avoid proper heat transfer, and as others have said, the P7 generates a lot of heat.

And of course the strobe mode sucks, but everyone knows that. You can avoid it though, by never using a "half-click". A full click always turns on full.

OtherThoughts:

Other things said, I still love this flashlight. It's light, fits in my hand well, and it's a real BEAST after dark. I'm new to the flashlight game, but this one is fun. You can't usde protected cells, the circuitry won't allow enough current apparently, and shuts down a lot. Not good if you need the light; not a disaster either because even in shutdown mode the light emits enough to see by if it's really dark. I'm still waiting on my unprotected cells so I cannot comment on that.

I did leave it on for a long time once, and it got HOT. Not surprising, because I do not think that module heatsink alone is enough.

Using heatsink grease is a problem too, because of the way the unit is put together. Looks like a big mess no matter what you do. I have to think some more on this one.

The proper solution to this might be a spacer ring behind the glass, in front of the module, maybe even a neoprene rubber one, to hold the module's beveled neck properly against the tube bevel. In this case you might not even need any heatsink grease.

Bottomline:

The price, for what you get is very good. It has some problems that need to be addressed for heavy-duty use, but for intermittent use, it should be fine. It is really BRIGHT, like holding a car headlight in your hand. Nice size, quality construction (except for that design flaw), light, nice feel.

I'll update if I figure out how to handle the heat problem.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections