DX » Community » Reviews » TrustFire S-A2 Cree XPC-WC-Q5 3-Mode 230-Lumen LED Flashlight (1*AA/1*14500)
  • 5 star 42 ( 82% )
  • 4 star 9 ( 18% )
  • 3 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 2 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Cheap, bright, useful

posted by Huny74 on 05/18/2010

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:

Came to Sweden within 2 weeks. Simple envelope with bubble wrap but light in flawless condition.

Quality control apparently quite good compared to what I read in other reviews here on DX, i.e. clean both inside and outside, no loose parts or bad contacts, good clickie, fully functional straight from the wrap with both alkali and NiMh.

Quite bright but in no way 230 lm, at least not with 1,5v or NiMh. Brighter than my L1Tv1.0 on high but less than the L1D-CE on "turbo" ('07, rated 90 lm).

Good knurling without being too aggressiv.

Cons:

LED is not perfectly centered so the beam has a slight shadow on one sight, not enough to be noticed in real life application but disturbing when white-walling. Beam is rather ringy, too.

Light has kind of a short-term memory: it's taking ages for the circuit to reset after you turn off the light. If you don't want to start the light in "strobe" after you turned it off in "low" you have to wait around 8 minutes before turning it on again.

Threads and o-rings were dry, but that's a minor.

OtherThoughts:

Haven't tried 14500.

Low-mode is quite low so it should significantly extend battery life but I did not do a run-time test. Strobe is fast enough to annoy, if you like to have strobe-mode in your light this one is useful.

Probably dunkable (I did a brief test to assure it won't let me down on a rainy night: 2 min running in 5 cm deep water without evidence of entry of water after recovery)

Bottomline:

I was looking for a cheap back-up 1AA light for rough outdoor use and found a competitiv candidate.

If you don't mind minor irregularities in the beam pattern and can cope with the long circuit reset time this is a good buy for the money.

If you're looking for a 1-mode equivalent I can recommend the Uniquefire S10

(sku.30987) which has equally if not better build quality and is slightly brighter (and my sample has a perfect centered LED with clean symmetric beam, too).

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections