• 3 star 1 ( 10% )
  • 2 star 1 ( 10% )
  • 1 star 1 ( 10% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Broke after few minutes. No thin nokia adaptor.

posted by tobixen2 on 02/27/2010

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:less than 1 day

Pros:

This would be a very nice thing to have in the rucksack ... sometimes one really needs to use the phone, but it's not always one has access to a power socket.
    I also really like the idea that they have a LED there ... so one can be prepared both for darkness and empty cellphone battery.

Cons:

Charging the battery for some few minutes is probably not very good for the battery.
    According to the other reviews, it seems like the set of cellphone adapters is different in different revisions of this product. I seem to have been unlucky, the two most useful plugs were missing; USB and thin Nokia adaptor. It's many years since Nokia shrinked their charging plug.
    The LED gives so little light it's useless. I've also bought sku 12932, it is a dynamo-driven keychain led, much smaller and gives much better light.
    The build quality is rather poor and the device feels flimsy. After spinning it around for a while, it sounded like the cogs were about to break. I managed to receive one SMS, but not to read it until the device broke completely (though it seems like an electrical, not mechanical fault. Device gives no voltage. I should probably screw it up and check if I can figure out something. LED still works)

OtherThoughts:

It's not unexpected but still a bit fascinating how much bigger the resistance is when charging a device versus when powering the LED or when the device refuses to be charged. I tried the charger on an old Nokia, and it seems to be some electronics there deciding whether the charging power is OK or not. Due to this one needs to crank a bit before the phone decides "ok, let's charge the battery", and then all of a sudden the handcrank is much heavier to turn. Sometimes during the charging the resistance temporary disappears. Due to this ever-changing resistance it was difficult to crank it at a constant speed. After cranking for a minute or two it was difficult for me to continue cranking at all.
    I'm also a bit uncertain whether it's completely safe to use this device. Cellphone chargers for different phones usually have different voltages. With this charger, the voltage varies depending on the cranking speed.

Bottomline:

It would probably have been a nice device if it would have had the right adaptors and if it wouldn't have broken so easily.
    I can understand that it's needed with small crank and mostly fragile plastic parts to keep the weight, size and price at the right level.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections