Create Review

Share your reviews,
photos and videos here!

• Review

posted by tralewolf on 07/07/2010
    0 0

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:

- AA batteries last nearly three times longer than AAA.

-Even weight distribution.

-Good throw.

-The lens assembly removes with just a bayonet mount. It seems to be well water resistant even with no O-ring; the rubberizing creates a light seal where the two body halves meet and the switch and lens are completely sealed in it.

-The battery charger can charge 1-6 batteries. I don’t think it’s really 6 independent channels but it can charge any number of batteries.

-The build quality is fantastic for a cheap light.

Cons:

-The main light is very tightly focused so the hotspot is very bright but the spill is not.

-There was an O-ring but it was very thin and broke when I opened the light

-The headstrap is too short. Even at maximum length it gets uncomfortable wearing it for extended time.

-The included batteries’ are useless with capacities are under 700mAh and one was only 300mAh (as tested in a LaCross BC-900).

-The 5mm LEDs are very blue and dim and the way they are mounted in the housing makes them glare badly in my eyes rendering them pretty useless.

OtherThoughts:

There are two switches; one controls the main power LED and the other controls the 5mm LEDs. This allows you to set the light in any combination or Cree and 5mm. The main light grouping is high –> mid –> low. The secondary light grouping is one LED –> two LED -> three LED –> two front red LED + rear red LED –> two front red LED flashing + rear red LED flashing. Holding down either button for one second will turn off that side of the light. There is no mode memory.

Bottomline:

This light has so much potential but unfortunately looks a lot better on paper than it performs in real-life.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections