• 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Nice BRIGHT Headlamp

posted by Richsifu on 12/12/2011

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:more than 1 month

Pros:

Bright main light, focused with some good spill. Easily shines over 200 feet and gives you usable light at that distance, even up to 250 feet. You can see objects at that distance quite well.

Good light modes of High, Med and Low, even when fully dim it's still bright enough to see well while conserving battery life even more.

Batteries last a LONG time in this light. Have not changed the batteries since I've had it in nearly 2 months even while playing with and using it a lot. Been on several hours long bike rides at night with it, rechargeable AA Energizers still have 1.28volts. Probably have 5-6 hours of total time on them and still showing no sign of being drained...nice!

Well made, battery case is very good and easy to access. Case is well made, opens easily with the flp of the tab but secures well and is made of strong, thick well made plastic. It's comfortable to wear though a bit tight for my head, have to stretch it out for a while at first.

Smaller LED's are good for very low light applications like reading, not wanting to wake someone at night, etc. Has flashing and steady RED LED modes and the RED LED in the back of the battery case flashes as well which is great as it's akin to a flashing red bike light on your head.

Either lamp can be turned off anywhere in their mode by holding down the button for 1 second or so and it will just shut off. Many other lights force you to cycle through ALL the modes to turn it off.. this one does not which is something I discovered on my own, not sure if that's in the instruction manual or not.

Cons:

As others have mentioned, the batteries and charger suck, in fact my charger did not even WORK. Fortunately I have several others so I was not concerned about that, but still it SHOULD come with a working unit. DX should complain to MagicShine who makes this to send them WORKING units and DX should be testing these out as well and not send such units out to customers that do NOT work.

If someone is relying on the batteries and charger for this light, then they're going to be a might ticked off and that's not fair or right as you ARE paying for a working unit. They could at least make sure the recharger powers ON before sending it out and send you some decent batteries at least, even if they're not Duracell, Energizer or Sanyos.

Buttons are too close together and difficult to find. It has 2 buttons, one for the main light and another for the lesser LED's. They're right next to each other and can be tough to find. They should have been further apart.

Also the up and down mechanism of the light has the usual plastic clicky tabs. They work well and hold the light well as the headlamp itself is very light, but when it's all the way up, there is some play there and it drops down a bit..not much but just enough to where you're sometimes forced to tilt your head back while bike riding to see further ahead, which can cause some neck strain too. But overall the angle adjustment does work quite well, it's only an issue when I'm biking, other than that it's great.

OtherThoughts:

Headstrap is a bit tight, has to be stretched out a lot or else it will give you a headache, but better too tight than too lose at least.

Not sure if it's 220 lumens as rated....the LED might be that bright by itself, but I doubt it. I have a video I made on youtube where I did a comparison between this headlamp and the Maglite XL50, which is rated at 104 lumens. They're both close in power, though the headlamp is a bit brighter with some more spill which is great for night biking or walking in the woods in pitch black as you need a good combination of focus and spill.

At first I wasn't sure how much I'd like it but when trying it out while biking in the pitch black forest it did a very good job of lighting up a nice area, while allowing me to see a good 200 feet or more ahead of me and lighting up a good sized area very effectively too. It's one of the brightest headlights I have out of 7 that I own.

Bottomline:

Overall, the light itself is great. I've used it to work on the car, looking for things in the backyard and many bike rides at night as mentioned and my 2300ma rechargeable Energizers are still gong strong

If you're looking for a great light with a nice beam, quite bright with good distance and some spill with great long run-time, then grab yourself one of these. Many headlamps use AAA batteries which are less than half or sometimes 1/3rd of the ma rating of AA batteries. For that reason this lamp can be very useful when camping, on an extended night trek or during a long term blackout or power outage of any kind.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections