DX » Community » Reviews » Austrian Classic Streamline Stainless Steel Oil Lighter
  • 5 star 12 ( 92% )
  • 4 star 1 ( 8% )
  • 3 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 2 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• One of the legendary IMCO lighters!

posted by sparkysko on 06/05/2010

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:

-IMCO's are the best lighter you're going to find for under a hundred dollars. The company is the 2nd oldest lighter company in the world, and is one of the best. They are a very famous and reputable company.
    -Wick/fuel tube can be pulled out after lighting and used as a standalone 'candle' for lighting tobacco pipes easily
    -Much better than Zippo: smaller, no tools required to change flint or do anything, can use existing zippo fuel/flints/wicks that are sold everywhere, hand never touches the flint wheel
    -Fit/finish is excellent, and IMCO lighters have a 10 year warranty. Check around at antique sites, you'll find 40-50 year old versions of the same lighter that are still working and in use
    -Durable, these things have a proven track record, and there's nothing that's going to wear out in a lifetime (except wick/flint replacement)
    -Small size, similar dimensions to a Bic lighter, but this one is shorter in height.
    -Snuffer inhibits fuel loss.
    -Good steel. I dropped mine on concrete and made a sharp burr, it polished out nicely with a sharpening stone.
    -Lights every time
    -Slimmest of the imco three lighters

Cons:

-Fire hazard if you drop it in your car, it won't go out on its own unless you close the lid or blow really hard.
    -Recommended to use the IMCO wicks for replacement (about $2 for a 'maintenance kit' with wicks and flints online). Factory replacement wicks have a metal wire in them to ease installation. Wire snaps off after you're done. You'd have to get a poking tool to get a zippo wick through the hole otherwise since the wick holder is tight by default.
    -Potential to rust. As far as I know they do not use stainless in these, don't keep them in wet pants all day. Older antique ones sometimes have very minor rust/corrosion. You'd have to replace the fuel anyways if you got it wet, so you might as well wipe off any water at the same time, so this shouldn't be an issue.
    -The slimmer profile on the streamline vs the triplex or other models offered on dealextreme likely reduces the amount of fuel you can carry. I haven't run out, but I top mine off every few days just in case. I don't have a zippo to compare with, but I'm pretty sure it's quite a bit less fuel than a zippo holds by default, but zippos evaporate much more fuel than this thing will, sooo....
    -Lacks the adjustable windproof screen that the triplex has

OtherThoughts:

I wish I would have known about this brand many years ago. I swore off zippos long ago, but I still have a love for petrol fuel lighters. If they marketed these as much as zippos, zippo would go out of business.

Bottomline:

The three IMCO lighter available here (the streamline, triplex and junior) are the best lighters you're ever going to find for under a hundred dollars (note, all the IMCO lighters on here are called streamline in error, THIS is the only streamline, 37391 is the triplex and 37392 is the junior). If you want a great lighter, get one.. You should also consider the triplex ( http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.37391 ) .. This lighter is slightly fatter, but you gain more fuel capacity, and it has an adjustable wind screen which should be more windproof than this lighter, and also acts like 'throttle' on how big the flame gets.. Triplex is more gadgety and featureful, this streamline is smaller. Windproofing on this lighter is more than good enough and shouldn't be an issue however, so I'm not sure how useful the extra windproofing on the triplex would be..

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections