Create Review

Share your reviews,
photos and videos here!

• Mixed feelings - Output is nice but heat and $'s

posted by zilog80 on 09/22/2010
    2 0

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:

I purchased three with a view to evaluating them for a kitchen renovation. I was impressed with the overall lighting. Colour is pleasant, nice even throw and reasonable output. Power draw was around 4 watt.

Constant light output between 8 - 14.4 volts (I didn't push any higher).

Cons:

I have plenty of electronics experience but haven't used LED's for lighting applications before. I was really surprised at how hot these run. After 30 minutes it is unpleasant to touch them. Given that LED life drops off rapidly with increasing temp I have real concerns about the effective life of these.

The LED carrier doesn't have much contact with the outer fins so I imagine that the LEDs themselves are running very hot.

The user photo's show an electrolytic capacitor in use. I'm pretty sure that will not last forever in a high temp environment either.

I think the fins open into the LED chamber. In otherwords I don't think it's sealed. A real pain if it fills up with insects.

At 10 dollars they feel like full price. That's ok if they last the life of my kitchen but I suspect not.

OtherThoughts:

At 4W with a decent housing I think these would make a nice bike light. They regulate well and you should get constant light across a range of voltages.

Compared with a 20W halogen, I can see the appeal of these. When you compare them against CFL I'm not sure there is much of an energy saving. I guess I'll keep looking.

Bottomline:

If you have existing 12 volt halogens these might be worth a try. Less power and comparable output characteristics.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections