• 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• R5-A3 XPG 1xAA torch

posted by okwchin on 06/23/2010

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:more than 1 month

Pros:

This torch is built to a decent quality. Threads are ok, the fit of the parts are generally good.

This is a more expensive than the usual $10 torches, but is one of the ways of getting a XP-G led emitter (not XP-E as advertised). This led in combination with the smooth alum reflector is able to make a decently ring-less spill. The focal area is larger, with a oval halo effect from lens configuration. Good for short range usage.

Brightness is up there for an AA torch. Ive only used it with AA NiMH batteries and its already quite impressive, same brightness as my 2x CR123A torch.

3 mode memory functions very well on this torch. 3 modes

- 1. High - Full brightness, on 1.2V draws 1.2A

- 2. Med.High - almost indistinguishable on NiMH batteries.

1.2v draws 0.8A

- 3. Strobe - A decent strobe that definitely can attract attention/annoy people. - 1.2V 0.7A

The memory function is very good, with a minimum waiting period of 1.5-2 seconds. Very useful memory timing period.

Cons:

The anodizing is even, but not the hardest around. The clip is already wearing it down after a month of use.

The beam pattern is good for closer use, but not that great for long distance becasue of the larger focal area, and corresponding reduction in brightness.

The tail clicky is harder to use becasue of several factors. The torchlight has a recessed button, the recess area is deeper, but on a smaller body this makes it harder for larger fingers. The actual switch is also deeper, needing you to press the rubber even further to activate the switch. The firm switch does however prevent accidental activation, but i feel its too hard for my liking.

The 3 mode is a great idea, with no useless random strobes. However the "low" brightness is still soo bright, its practically still a 1 mode torch. NEEDS a low that is ACTUALLY low.

Becsaue of this, you can only expect to get at best 2-3 hours from this torch on "low*. 1.5-2 hours on high.

OtherThoughts:

The torch can tailstand, is bright, Memory works flawlessly, just no low lvl light, and tight clicky.

Front ring is aluminium, not SS as some had suggested. Torch comes apart at the front silver ring and the tail battery cover/clicky.

Oh and the battery compartment is tight. - Most of my AA NiMH fit, just.. some are too big diameter wise. I think there might be a bit more leeway length wise, but i dont have longer 14500s to test.

Bottomline:

Still find the torch an impressive device. Friends are more impressed by the small torch than a larger one that produces marginally more light (ignoring battery life of course). I like the looks with the simpler shape.

I ordered mine within the first batch of torches. With what we've seen with DX, *specifications may change*.

I say give it a go

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections