Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your reviews,
photos and videos here!

• Cheapest MC-E available.

posted by MikeP123 on 11/30/2010
    1 0

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:more than 1 month

Pros:

This light is extremely cost effective.
    It uses one of the later bin MC-E chips, which means it is brighter and more efficient than older MC-E chips used in older flashlights.
    This is not a huge difference but it means that this light can be driven at 1.8 amps and give similar output to a 2.5 amp older MC-E or SST-50 emitter.
    The build quality is pretty decent.
    The light is very compact. It is ideal for a bike light or small pocket-rocket. It has no crenelations or other junk to catch on your pocket.
    It uses an Orange Peel reflector which pretty much eliminates the typical Donut Hole effect of the MC-E which comes from the fact that this emitter is actually 4 smaller emitters on a single chip. Past a few feet the beam looks perfectly fine.
    Comes with O-Rings that were in fine shape.

Cons:

The light is lightweight which means it doesnt have a lot of thermal mass. Hence, it would theoretically get hot quickly. Fortunately, it is driven at lower amperage relative to most lights of its type. Hence I have not found this to be an issue.
    Being lightweight, it is not nearly as solid as comparable lights. In fairness I am comparing this light to my 100 dollar XTAR outrider which is a lot heavier and bigger.
    There are some build flaws. For example, the reflector is kind of messed up. When on low, you can look inside the reflector and see some machining flaws. Hence the beam is not perfect. For all practical purposes though, it is fine.
    I would expect this light to use lower quality switches which might lead to failure more quickly. Once again though, my expensive outrider's tailcap broke after 6 months and this one works fine, so there you go.
    The light is extremely hard to find on DX. If you are reading this, you are insanely lucky and need to bookmark it immediately. I couldnt find it with most of my searches.
    The light is very bright but not 800 lumens. An MC-E recent bin driven at 1.8 amps probably produces a good 550 to 600 lumens, minus reflector loss, lens loss, etc to produce about 400 out the front lumens.
    In comparison, the typical 9 LED cheapo light produces like 10. So this light is crazy bright in comparison.

Bottomline:

This is one of the cheapest ways to own an MC-E recent bin emitter and comes with a perfectly decent flashlight body.
    The light has worked very well as a bike light and I am quite pleased with it.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections