Create Review

Share your reviews,
photos and videos here!

• Decent price for host, but brightness is lacking

posted by s002cjs on 06/08/2010
    0 0

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:

Nice host, as with other WF-501Bs I presume. Was easily able to swap drop-ins to try other setups (this was the first time I've had two P60 hosts at the same time). One of the better reverse clicky switches I've had (easy to push, good tactile feedback). Ok, brightness, but nowhere near it's capability.

Cons:

I got this to serve as a single brightness companion to a Skyray (rated supposedly at 320 lumens). It turns out the Skyray is still noticeably brighter and has a nicer beam (tested visually only at various distances in a 10x10 foot room with white walls).

Beam on this one is a little spotty, disappointingly dim for having been rated at over twice the brightness of a light that ended up being better, and got hot VERY quickly. Basically, I turned this and the Skyray on at the same time, compared brightness, removed the drop-ins to swap, and was able to compare the difference in temperature at that point.

Bottomline:

Overall, I'm disappointed with the brightness (I'd have hoped for at least as bright as the Skyray), particularly for the heat generated. I'll try it out for some longer runs to see just how hot it gets. At least it's a decent host for future drop-ins, and it's probably not awful, just not as good as the Skyray which was only a little more.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections