• 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• nice flashlight

posted by Kerghan on 08/23/2010

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:

Decent flashlight, nice for bike. Has great flood. Seems to have proper driver which grants nearly constant brightness during runtime. Rather lightweigh and relatively cheap. One mode - KISS principle.

Cons:

-That famous black hole in the center of hot spot - thus it's not really hot. Actually it's because bad reflector as one of reasons.

-Heat dissipation system is rather poorly designed: actualy from drop-in there is two ways for heat to get to the flashlight body: via spring and reflector. But the flashlight gets rather hot if laid aside turned on, so there are some chances that led won't burn away because overheat =D (just kidding, heat dissipation actualy works, but there are better decisions like in sku.12623 where drop-in is twisted into body providing an excelent contact that way).

-not lubed at all

OtherThoughts:

Bought it after having sku.12623 (MTE SSC P7-C) for >month - this one is smaller and more lightweight and also I wanted to compare SSC P7 and MC-E emitters. First striking thing was rather dark hole in the center of hotspot if lighting something farther than few decimeters - 4-died emitters are famous for them. MTE didn't have that artifact (actually it's just neglectibly small). I tried on MTE's reflector onto it: beamshot picture was almost same as P7's. Thus the problem is in reflector. As some workaround which worked for me was not to twist reflector to the end on drop in - leave some space thus emitter gets a bit deeper. The hole in center disappeared (but it's present for beamshots at 5-10cm dist that I don't think is a problem). But such approach may cause worse heat dissipation and (a bit) less light gain so use it wise.

Bottomline:

Great light for it's money. But now I'm thinking about something based on XPG-R5 for better throw and runtime.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections