DX » Community » Reviews » 60W Mini Vehicle Bull Horn Loud Speaker and Siren System
  • 5 star 3 ( 38% )
  • 4 star 5 ( 62% )
  • 3 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 2 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• A bit peeved...

posted by samsam on 01/05/2008

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:

This item is a great laugh. It'll put a mischievious smile on most non law-affiliated faces!

The sirens are particularly loud and seem to have no problem getting out into the open from a diesel sound-proofed engine bay.

'Visible components' such as the hand set (which, if installed correctly should be the only thing seen) is neat and compact. It also comes with a handy bracket which you can screw to your dashboard if you so wish.

Cons:

While this bull horn is very loud, the PA side of things (shouting down the thing to annouce your arrival) seems very quiet in comparison. This may well be due to the bull horn exceeding in tweeter areas rather than the pitch of someone's voice.

The sirens are VERY similar (too similar) to English sirens currently in use, and so you really do have to be careful when you use them.

To do a good job of wiring this up, you will need to get through the bulk head of your car so you can coonect the horn in the engine bay to your hand set in the car.

This can be a nightmare if you don't know how to do it, don't have an existing hole, or don't have an obsolete wire which you can tie your horn's wire to and use to pull through the new wire.

The hand piece is a little on the small side and doesn't attach as easily as I would have liked to the bracket. You'll find yourself putting the hand set back and bending the bracket without even noticing.

Also, my bull horn worked for about 10 minutes then died completely. By the way, it wasn't constant use!

I had it linked directly to my battery, then piped the control wire from the horn through my bulkhead to the inside of my car; where I mounted the hand set.

I've no idea why it died -- the body of the horn has its own voltage regulator :o(

OtherThoughts:

The power leads to the horn are marked if you look closely. They're not red and black, instead one has a broken white line indicating polarity.

An in-line fuse might be an idea if you were thinking of wiring this up as I did. Alternatively, take the power from a circuit inside the car and then pipe the wires out. That way you'll be using the cars own voltage regulator in your setup which, may reduce the chance of your horn dying.

Bottomline:

If you want this item as a PA for your car, you may have to look elsewhere. Its pro's are really with the loudness of the sirens.

If you're good with a wiring and drilling (for that bulk head I keep going on about), then this will be no worry for you. If not, then you may get a little fristrated trying to install this 'under the hood'.

For the money, this is a great item. It offers 5 crisp and loud sirens, a monotone heralding noise -- equally as loud, and a PA option albeit lacking somewhat in Watts.

Would I buy another? Yes!

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections