Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your reviews,
photos and videos here!

• Cheap, stylish, effective. Just some issues.

posted by scaredwitless on 01/12/2008
    0 0

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:more than 1 month

Pros:

Both controllers fit on the base pretty snuggly, The charger is stylish and it's blue LED accents match well with the PS3. Does it's job IF it receives enough power.

Cons:

--It is a bit hard to dock the controllers, by simply putting the controller down and then trying to just slide it forward to catch the charging connector doesn't work. The connector is a little bit off from the controller port, so while it doesn't take great effort, I find I have to kind of fidget around with it a bit to line the connector and port up.

--our PS3's USB port may not provide enough power to power the charger up and charge the controllers. See below.

OtherThoughts:

This overall is a nice controller charger. I like the look of it especially when the two controllers are in it. Note that the charger I received is a bit different than the one pictured here. The base is esentially the same, except that the one I have does not have the two metal bars on either side of the charger, also to that end the connector ports on the bse are not angled like in the picture, but rather parallel with the base. The controller on mine slides in parallel with the base, and not angled as it would in the picture shown here. The base has one port for a mini-USB plug, which is where the cable coming from the PS3 is supposed to go to power it. A USB cable is not included, so I used the one that came with my PS3 in the first place. I had issues with my charger at first--While the blue LEDs would come on when plugged into a port on my PS3, when looking at the controller battery indicator on the system, it would never show either controller as charging. I then plugged this charger into a powered USB hub, and the controllers promptly began to charge. This means that my PS3 is not providing enough power to power the LEDs on this charger and to provide power to charge the controllers. I think this must be a variation amongst systems, as otherwise I would have expected others to note this problem in their reviews. For what it is worth my PS3 is the 60GB model. I am planning to purchase a AC adapter that outputs to USB connector, from DX, an use that on the charger to rectify this problem.

Bottomline:

I'm happy with the charger, it does its job so long as it is being provided enough power. I would have preferred the version shown in the picture here, wih the angled controller seating, but this one works fine. Though I do wish the controllers docked a little more smoothly. The construction is plastic feeling, the charger has enough weight that it should stay on tables without sliding, but it is lighter than I would like, I would've liked it to be a bit more heavy and substantial. All in all I am pleased with it now that I have the power issue figured out, that had me scratching my head for a bit. It should be noted that my PS3 can charge a controller normally, with USB cable plugged into one of its ports and directly into the controller, so I think mine is operating normally. However perhaps the newer models (80GB and 40GB) provide a bit more power to the USB ports. If you do not wish to occupy one of your PS3 USB ports with the cable, or you're worried about this problem, I would suggest you either pick up a AC adapter with USBn output (from DX, they've got one cheap) or you could also plug the charger into a powered USB hub.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections