• 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• A must-have tool for CERTAIN applications

posted by AlphageekYVR on 05/01/2013

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:

Light-weight tool; great (if soft) cutting edge in a well-machined package with very nice comfortable knurling and finish.

Cutting edge is very sharp... and perhaps even a bit too acute a slope (i.e. very small angle). This might actually be a CON for some people... I'll leave that for others to judge.

Cons:

I'm docking it two stars on ease of use for the rather idiotic design flaw of not being able to screw the handle to the other side of the tool - which would allow for a longer grip and safer tool. The short barrel length and EXTREMELY sharp point are not a good combination. Also, there is absolutely no need for the point to be needle-sharp and first thing I did was to cut it off with a Dremel cut-off wheel about 2mm. The reason you don't need it so sharp is that this is not for drilling a hole but for "smoothing" or "enlarging" a drilled hole. If you want to use it for extremely small holes, maybe just blunt the tip a bit or at some point you will stab yourself.

OtherThoughts:

Don't press too hard when using the tool, especially on harder plastics and wood. It will last longer with less pressure. Just apply as much pressure as you need.

Often when you drill holes in ABS, you have some nasty burring. This will quickly fix that but be careful because if you press to hard you will dig into the hole edge and get a bad result.

Bottomline:

Great tool for the price. I'm sure the edge won't last for years but for 7 bucks you'll get plenty of use out of it.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections