Share your reviews,
photos and videos here!

• GREAT portable radio!

posted by ewsniper on 12/05/2010
    2 0

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:

Price to feature ratio is excellent
    Wide band coverage (FM Radio, VHF, UHF1, UHF2)
    Strong build quality
    Easy to learn (even for beginners)
    Strong battery
    Excellent receive strength
    CTCSS/DCS capable

Cons:

Scanning speed
    Some features undocumented
    No DTMF tones
    No "voice scramble" feature available

OtherThoughts:

This is a great little portable radio. I am a beginner to radios/scanners/HAM and found this easy to learn and use. It does require reading and learning in order to get it up and functional. If you expect something that is just going to work "out of box", this is not for you. That being said, after an hour or so of playing with it, I was working and scanning local transmissions without problems. I was impressed with the receive stength as I was able to pick up local police/fire transmissions from over 40 miles away! The battery also lasts a long time. I use it mostly for scanning and listening to local Police/Fire/EMS in my area. I find that I do not have to recharge the battery often. You can also program this radio to receive NOAA weather alerts in your area. With this and FRS, MURS, GMRS there is plenty of uses for this radio even for the unlicensed individual in the U.S. DO NOT abuse this radio and transmit on frequencies that you are not licensed for. It only takes a little abuse for these to be banned from import into the U.S.
    For the money, you will NOT find a better radio that has a wider frequency coverage. The build quality is excellent! It is a sturdy radio and doesn't seem like a "cheap knockoff" I have had no problems at all with the radio thus far. The only thing I wish this radio could do better is the scanning feature. It is somewhat slow if you use it as an actual scanner (about 2 to 3 channels per second) And, the radio only stays locked onto a transmitting channel for a few seconds when in scan mode and continues scanning. I would like the ability to change it to stay on a transmission until it ends. But, not a huge problem, just something to get used to.

Bottomline:

Like another user posted, if you are thinking of getting this radio - GET IT! You will not be disappointed. For the amateur and expert alike, this radio is great. You will not find a better radio with wider coverage for this price. You can't go wrong!

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections