Customer’s impression:
OK great tool Great ans useful slightly weak battery
Create Review

Share your reviews,
photos and videos here!

• Very good small multimeter

posted by DXjunkie on 06/01/2011
    0 0

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:

Better than expected. Measures DC and AC current just past 200ma as advertised. Tested current draw with various Cree & 5mm LED at low current with different resistors and it displays satisfactory accuracy. This meter has a separate 1.5v battery test mode on the blue select dial – manual says this mode draws 40ma from the battery – this improves accuracy by initiating a load on the 1.5v cell under test.

This meter runs on two (2) small button cells (LR-44) in series. To replace these batteries you have to unscrew two (2) small Philips head screws and remove the meter from the holder/case. Easy and simple. See the photo I uploaded for correct battery polarity. Meter when removed from holder/case has circuit board exposed. So this meter can’t be removed permanently from the holder/case unless you cover the back with another piece of plastic. Also notice from my photo there are brass threaded inserts for the two (2) screws! Nice. Instructions are simple concise and are printed on a single sheet of paper.

Continuity function is accessed by selecting the Diode, Resistance, Continuity mode and then pressing the SEL button to enter continuity mode. Continuity bleep occurs on each contact made. Works well.

I chose this meter over the many others available on DX for two (2) main reasons: Compact size and the expected better quality of the Minipa brand. Those other meters are very over-sized and bulky. I would have gladly spent $30 or more on an even better quality small compact meter – but none of good quality exist on DX yet.

Cons:

The use of small LR-44 button cells may be considered a "con" because they won't last too long if you use this meter often. Also because the LR-44 cells are expensive if you buy them from a shop. Instead you should obtain LR-44 cells from a local Dollar Store or remove LR-44 cells from toys and junk items from a local Dollar Store.

Some people may find that replacing these small cells is difficult, having to remove two (2) small screws and carefully opening the meter, placing the new cells in correctly and closing the meter back up again.

OtherThoughts:

A *small* compact meter of above average quality costing around $30US-$60US that runs on 2AAA and measures DC current up to at least 2 Amps and has an LCD back light would be a winner. I was going to order the other Minipa ET-997 ($38.03) SKU 42269 but it was ridiculously over-sized!

Bottomline:

For this low price it would be frivolous to complain and split hairs over accuracy as compared to a Fluke meter.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections