DX » Community » Reviews » 900mA 10W Power Constant Current Source LED Driver (85~265V)
  • 5 star 7 ( 70% )
  • 4 star 2 ( 20% )
  • 3 star 1 ( 10% )
  • 2 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Good driver

posted by kde11 on 06/23/2011

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:

- Price;
    - Switched power supply (high efficiency);
    - Good build quality;
    - DC output is electrically isolated from AC input;
    - Driver doesn't burn out if powered on without workload (although I didn't test it in this mode for a long time)
    - Noiseless;
    - Doen't produce too much heat even when continiously loaded (no need for any heat dissipator).

Cons:

- No direct control of the output voltage/current. The inverse feedback is done through the coil that is used to produce oscillations (not through the output coil);
    - No mounting holes.

OtherThoughts:

I've used this driver to power sku.80512
    http://www.dealextreme.com/p/12w-7000k-800-lumen-white-led-emitter-metal-strip-12-14v-80512
    This LED strip needs more power, so when I firstly connected it to the driver I got only 450 mA through the LEDs. Then I changed R3 to 4.7 KOhm (I've found this value by experimenting, original resistor was 5.1K) and got about 880 mA (that is close enough to 900 mA declared in the LED specs). Probably this is the maximum current this driver can produce (I got about 12.4 V at LED strip) since other values of R3 produced less current.

Bottomline:

Good driver, especially for its price.
    Also I've added 24 Ohm resistor in series with the AC input to reduce input rectifier peak load when connecting the driver to the AC power supply (this also removes a lot of sparks when inserting plug into the wall socket). While working, this resistor consumes only 2 V of input voltage, so I recommend everybody to modify the driver this way (10 - 20 Ohms is OK for it).
    I recommend this driver to everybody who needs small switched power supply with 12V output and 500-900 mA load. Hope it will last long.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections