Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month
Well, If you are looking at this light, you probably know the XPG-R5 is the most efficient LED light you can buy. Also:
- Did I mention XPG-R5?
- One of the smallest 18650 lights around
- can tail stand very well (lanyard also goes to the side - so it does not make the tailstanding uneven)
- Glow in the dark clicky and 0-rings
- all aluminium construction means very light and great for a pocket - weighs only 52g, plus a 49g battery = 100g in the pocket.
- LED is attached with thermal paste - so can be moved side to side if needed (is held in place by soldered wires and of course reflector when assembled).
- Reflector appears to be solid Aluminium too
- effective heatsinking. Heats up quickly on high, but not hot enough to burn or overheat the LED. Quick heating up is due to there being so little material in the torch and Aluminium is a good conductor of heat with a low specific heat capacity (vs say copper).
- Fits protected 18650 fine.
- Takes a violent shake to get any battery rattle.
- Low mode is too bright to read a book by.
- Slight greenish tint to mine (not a pure white tint as other LED torches I have).
- battery tube is maybe 2mm wider than it needs to be (not too big an issue though, but every mm counts for and EDC).
- slight 'doughnut' ring is visible shining against a white wall, but I don't notice it when actually in use in the real world.
Tail cap readings on mine with a Ultrafire 3000 mA protected battery at 4.13V are:
High - 1.09A
Medium - 0.67A
As indicated above, a genuinely low mode would be more useful. Something along the lines of 100%, 30% and 5%. I also bought the MTE 3-2 MC-E 8 mode (sku.16501) at the same time, and that has a 0.05A low mode, which is very useful say if you want a night light to find the toilet without blinding yourself or your partner. Also a very low low mode gives the possibility of a 40+ hour runtime in and emergency, vs 10hrs for the P10.
Nice little torch, comfortable in a pocket. Not a real thrower or flooder, but halfway in between. Could be improved with a lower low mode, so loses a usefulness star.
For me, close to a prefect EDC host, light, watertight with good build quality.
Note:Stock and Availability shown on this site is for your reference only. While
we strive to provide the most accurate and timely stock and availability information,
availability information may become out of date and may change between the time
you added an item to cart and the time your order is received.
Quantities on clearance items are limited. Prices are current at time of posting. DX Reserves the right to change prices at any time without notice.