DX » Community » Reviews » Fishing Glowstick Sets - S (10-Pack)
  • 5 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 4 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 3 star 1 ( 100% )
  • 2 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• They glow

posted by kitsove on 01/17/2011

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:

They glow pretty well, I broke the glass in 3 places though to make the whole of it glow and so it would glow at its brightest.
    I watched one of them glow for over 50 hours before it died :P
    It may attract fish, especially if you're fishing on the ice during winter when it's very dark under the ice.

Cons:

There's not any proper construct how to attach this on your line, I just put the line through the plastic tube and then inserted the glow stick, it will do.
    It may scare away fish.

OtherThoughts:

As a novice student in ethology I have mixed beliefs about this item as a fishing lure.
    My guess is that this will indeed attract fish from a greater distance(their curiosity), however at a close distance it may then scare the fish away since it's "moving" and is a novel item to the fish.
    Unlike most lures, this doesn't try to copy the stimuli that makes the fish bite, this is just a novel item that the fish has never seen in it's life and will just be attracted to to explore but be too scared of to bite.
    To put it simply, spinning lures for example, the blinking blank silvery/copper surfaces are a stimuli that makes the fish bite, it's an imitation of a fish' underbelly, when a predator fish sees a smaller fish' underbelly silvery/copper blank surface it will bite.
    Glowing sticks is something they've never seen and it doesn't stimulate the fish to bite, sorry.

Bottomline:

I'm not an expert fisher but I wouldn't place my cards on this, it might actually give you a smaller catch at the end of the day.
    There is a way in my theory, this thing is plastic and I think it floats, just attach a led sink to it and let it remain stationary at/near the bottom, when it doesn't move around as it does when it's on your fishing line it should attract the fish from it's full visionary distance but not alarm the fish from it moving.
    I should totally get paid for my tips though.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections