• 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Good bang for buck

posted by twipsta on 07/20/2011

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:

- Very easy to get running

- Receives DAB+ (see cons/thoughts)

- Picks up stations just as good if not better than my WinFast DTV1000S

Cons:

- Included software is kind of laggy.

Also seems to resize the video output for smaller screens, not so good for desktop displays

Also has trouble decoding some DAB+ stations, making them sound "bubbly" (see thoughts)

Other DAB+ channels come through slightly slower than it's FM equivalent. (fix in thoughts)

There is no DAB/DAB+ station information displayed (eg: artist/song)

OtherThoughts:

If you intend to use this for DAB+ in Australia you may encounter a few stations that will not sound right.

Most will sound to slow, while others will sound like it's being diced up by a fan.

Well this annoyed me so I think I've managed to come up with a compromise/solution.

Half the problem lays in the included drivers, half lays in the software.

The software forces you to use their own proprietary decoders (codecs) and crashes when forced to use another codec.

Whereas the drivers, although perform every other function fine (DVB-T/FM), seem to output DAB+ streams around 5% slower than it should.

The solution I found worked for me was this:

Download and install the drivers for the "DigitalNow Quad DVB-T Receiver"at:

http://www.digitalnow.com.au/downloads.html

Then download and install "D.Radio1.5.zip" from here:

http://www.mygica.com/down-eng/software/

Then from now on when you want to listen to radio use the D.Radio software.

You may need to play with the decoder options as not all decoders work with DAB+ or even download a AAC codec.

Also included antenna works, but is not the best. You may need a better one if you're in a weak signal area.

Bottomline:

Great little device that works great once the DAB+ problem is fixed. Has been great having digital radio playing in the background as I work, and for only $20!

Definitely something to keep your laptop bag :)

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections