There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Great buy for C3 with no extension.

posted by cranphin on 07/18/2007

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:

Greatly extends runtime. Perfect fit. Well built.

Cons:

Won't increase brightness (or only very little).

OtherThoughts:

Because of the regulating circuit, the C3 is already at full brightness with a single AA cell. So you won't get much, if any extra brightness from more AA cells.
    But, a single AA cell gets a huge current drain from the circuit. Using two AA cells will more then double the runtime (so you get more light then when you would use 2 x 1AA in sequence).
    This is mainly cause the circuit is more efficient at higher voltages (I've tested this with an amp meter :) 2xAA draws -less- then half the current of single AA cell.

Also, I ordered a 2nd tube to go for 3xAA. But this in hindsight is a bit of a waste, you only get some more runtime, not more brightness (and not as much runtime as from 1 to 2xAA), and you have to be careful not to use anything but NiCd/NiMh 1.2V cells, 3x1.5V plain batteries would put out 4.5 volts, and -fry- the led.

Bottomline:

If you bought a C3 with no extension tube, this is -highly- recommended, but expect longer runtime, not higher brightness.

Buying it for 3xAA should only be done if you're crazy, like me ;) Or if you occasionally have a need for very long runtime, or if your shop only sells AA in 3 packs :)

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections