Create Review

Share your reviews,
photos and videos here!

• A lot of antenna... works great after shortening coax

posted by subgunfun on 11/20/2012
    0 0

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:

Wow... this antenna is huge! I am using this with a wifi IP camera. Seems to be working great... after a quick mod which is mentioned below in CONs. Base has a fairly strong magnet but this antenna is best mounted directly up or down. Mine is mounted on a the ceiling and hanging straight down... works great with no issues after fix.

Cons:

Ok, the antenna seems to work great. I did not have very good results with original base and coax. I could not get the thing to work any better than a much smaller antenna. I suspect that the small coax in such a long length has pretty great loss at 2.4GHz. I shortened up the coax and re-soldered it to the base and WHA-LA... it works GREAT. Was an easy fix and now it is well worth the money.

OtherThoughts:

Antenna works great by itself if you don't need the base. If you want a base to get antenna away from your device a few feet... just cut the coax and re-solder it with the length you need.
    Antenna seems to be well made, did not pull apart when pulled on.

Bottomline:

A great product for the price, but I highly recommend you be ready to modify/shorten the coax length of the base if you will be using the base. Overall, a good product once it was modified for my use! This thing is long so don't be surprised when you get it!

Post comment

DX Everywhere