There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Sharp, but not that sharp.

posted by ChrisGray on 03/15/2011

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:

The box is very presentable as a gift, and I bought four of them, three arriving intact and one completely smashed apart - which was instantly my set.
    The knives look great, and where they join into the hilts isn't dodgy or rough at all, they look great. The blades themselves are a dull white and look quite neat.
    As with all ceramic knives, these are a dream to clean - for most food you only need to rinse under a tap, although you can dishwash / handwash for stubborn foods.

Cons:

Nowhere near as sharp as expensive "proper" ceramic knives. I'd say these are about 25% sharper than brand new, kitchen quality stainless-steel knives. That's to say, they are about as sharp as a professional carbon knife, but nowhere near as good as the insanely expensive ceramic knives that sell for hundreds of dollars.
    They aren't weighted, so the blade is a lot heavier than the hilt. Still, with the two smaller knives you won't feel the difference, and for home use you won't need properly weighted knives.
    As with a previous reviewer, there aren't any finger guards on the hilts so you can easily run the lower tip through your index finger if you aren't used to the knife. Either take care, or use their hack of breaking the tip off with pliers.

Bottomline:

Can't beat the price of these. The smaller ones aren't exactly useful for anything aside from small vegetables, but the large one is great for chopping carrots and the like. Haven't tried filleting a fish, but by the blade they'd do that well too. One of the best buys I've had on DX by far.
    Once you use these for a while, you'll be tempted to buy a real ceramic knife, which (if you've used these a while) shouldn't result it a hospital visit. It's just a shame these aren't as sharp as their expensive counterparts.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections