Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your reviews,
photos and videos here!

• A typical fix-it-yourself gadget

posted by tehnokraat on 07/11/2012
    4 0

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:more than 1 month

Pros:

Good price, some appliances work with it (for example my Holux GPS logger with cigarette lighter plug)

Cons:

USB-powered devices are likely to have problems with this splitter. For example, when plugging my phone into the USB socket the phone detects it is connected. However, the phone won't charge. Instead, the splitter seems to drain the phone battery in 20 minutes.

OtherThoughts:

A multimeter shows 4.5V when the phone is connected. According to USB standard it should be 5volts.
    I took a look inside the splitter and what do I see - some kind of genius has designed the splitter with 78L05 regulator, which is capable of outputting 100mA@5V only. According to USB standard, it should be 500mA. That's the reason for 4.5V when phone is connected.
    I desoldered the 78L05 and replaced it with TA7805S. And voila, my multimeter shows 4.96V with the phone connected and the phone is actually charging.
    Took me an hour to find out the problem and another hour to fix it.

Bottomline:

The splitter is good for devices with cigarette lighter plug. Expect problems with USB devices. No problems though when having a soldering iron, a drill with 1mm drillbit and a replacement voltage regulator at home.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections