There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Nice M12 x 0.5 zoom lens

posted by mennowo on 12/31/2012

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:more than 1 month

Pros:

Lighting conditions are good, meaning that also when zoomed in, the iris remains wide enough for good images.
    Sturdy build, will last a long time when taken normal care of.
    Comes with a cap to protect the front lens.

Cons:

To focus the image, a combination between the two sliders will have to be used: when zooming in, after zooming, the focus will be away completely; the other slider has to be used to correct this. Therefore, if you want to use mainly one zoom level, it may be more handy to get a fixed focus lens (there are many on DX).
    Sometimes, with certain level of zoom, the distance between the lens and the camera chip will have to be adjusted to get the perfect image.

OtherThoughts:

Note that this lens comes without any filter. This means it lets through infrared light and ultra violet light. For example, I used this lens with a modified PS3 eye camera (I put on a different lens mount ot be able to use other lenses than the factory one). Since in the PS3 eye camera the visible light filter is in the original lens, the image using this zoom lens will be different, unless correct with another filter. (However, it is very hard to find filters that only let through visible light, I ahve found none so far). On the upside, you can film IR light, and put for example an IR 850 nm filter to see only a small bandwidth.

Bottomline:

Great product, though using the two sliders to focus the lens takes getting used to. Considering the price, this is a great product to experiment with at no risk.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections