Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your reviews,
photos and videos here!

• Good quality bluetooth keyboard

posted by hakimio on 11/03/2011
    1 0

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:more than 1 month

Pros:

+ Solid overall build quality.

+ High quality, sturdy keys.

+ Good battery life. I turn it off when I remember to and so far I didn't have to recharge it once (I have it for around a month now).

+ Lightweight and thin. It's lightweight enough to be carried around a lot and because it's so thin you can rest your palms on the table comfortably while typing.

+ Small gaps between keys make touch typing easier.

+ No numpad. That's a *good* thing, because not having numeric pad means that the main typing area can be centered and you don't have to reach out far for your mouse.

+ Tiny rubber legs prevent it from slipping.

+ The size of the keys is not reduced. Unlike in some netbooks and some other portable keyboards the size of the keys is not reduced.

+ Optimal price. Good balance between price and build quality.

Cons:

- Screen brightness (FN+F1/F2) and "blue globe" (FN+SPACE) keys can't be enabled (firmware fault).

- Media and volume keys work in windows XP and ubuntu (though FN+F1-F6 and FN+SPACE don't), but not in windows 7. However, I have created an application for windows which enables all the keys which can be enabled and adds some additional configuration capabilities. It can be found here -> http://code.google.com/p/uccs/ .

- Power switch is really tiny, looks cheap and feels like it could be broken easily.

- Included manuals are only for Win 2k/XP, Symbian, iphone and ipad.

- The only included drivers are for Symbian OS, but that's not an issue because it works well in ubuntu and the application mentioned above can be used in windows.

- Blue led light blinks when the keyboard is interacting with computer, which some might find annoying and it's the only indication that keyboard is turned on.

- USB charging cable is pretty short and while the keyboard itself is black the cable is white.

OtherThoughts:

I am software developer and I spend a lot of time typing text. I was looking for a keyboard without numeric pad because it is preventing from centering the main typing area and because of the numpad you have to reach out quite far for the mouse. Before I found out about this keyboard I was choosing between one really cheap keyboard (because of dealextreme policy I can't write the exact manufacturer's name, but I can say that the name of the manufacturer includes number 4), keyboard by OS developer (OS has largest market share) and a keyboard by another manufacturer which logo consists of a fruit. The first one had a terrible build quality and the last two were a way too pricey. Considering those options this keyboard looks like an optimal choice.

Bottomline:

Even this keyboard has some minor issues (some of which can be solved - see the link included in the cons section), it is a really good deal for the price.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections