Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your reviews,
photos and videos here!

• Pretty good, works with Android with remapping

posted by tolerant2 on 10/16/2010
    0 0

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:

I tried this with two devices: a Samsung Galaxy S phone and a Sony laptop running Windows 7. In both cases it paired up easily (you need to enter a number on the keyboard and press Return to confirm pairing, there is no PIN). Once it has been paired with the phone you just need to switch the keyboard on and press Return and it will reconnect automatically.
    It has a "hard" on-off switch that actually disconnects the battery, which should be good for battery life. The battery is a Lithium-Polymer 370mAh battery labelled Varta Poliflex 263441.03.8021.
    The keys are calculator-style buttons that work fairly well with soft keypresses. I could "thumb-type" with them pretty accurately, but not touch-type (too small). The Fn buttons are a little awkward to keep held down.
    The supplied CD contains a reasonably well-written, but brief, user manual only (no drivers).

Cons:

A lot of the special keys don't do anything on Android. Without customizing your phone you will be able to type and select text but keys for cut and paste (for example) won't work. I found a keyboard-mapping file for the Galaxy S here that will enable them: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=8590340&postcount=33 . You need a rooted device to install this keyboard map.
    On Windows 7 64-bit without a third-party bluetooth stack (just one of the DX micro-Bluetooth dongles) this keyboard didn't work, because Windows Update couldn't find any drivers for it and there are no drivers on the supplied CD. On a laptop with Windows 7 64-bit and a Broadcomm Bluetooth stack supplied by the manufacturer (Sony) it did work.

OtherThoughts:

Not all Android phones have HID (keyboard) support built-in, you should check forums for your phone to find out if it supports Bluetooth keyboards. For the Galaxy S you need Android 2.2 (Froyo) which is available now.

Bottomline:

Works pretty well, great if you need a small keyboard.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections