Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your reviews,
photos and videos here!

• +1 for the jump bag

posted by aozsyn on 09/19/2011
    8 0

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:

- Good build quality, the soft-touch finish on the black paint is a nice touch. Plastic (white) rim around the outer edge may eventually break with rough handling, but the black part is at least metal.
    - Haven't fully tested the capacity, but has charged 2x Nokias and an iPod on one charge, enough for me.
    - I'd feared the price was achieved by using NiMH or some other battery chemistry; it contains a nice set of 3x flat LiPo batteries in parallel, just as it should.
    - About the exact same form factor as most smaller 2.5" external drives

Cons:

- Unless you have a proper charger (sold separately), you're expected to charge this via USB
    - Charging 9600mAh at 500mA is awful
    - LED charge indicators seem to be off by one: when charging, one extra LED is lit, prematurely indicating a full charge.

OtherThoughts:

Will be using this for the second connection to power external USB drives that require more than 500mA, should extend the laptop battery life considerably. The only thing that could make this better would be if it powered a built-in USB hub.

Bottomline:

I was concerned with the price, having designed a similar solution on my own for nearly 2x the price. Took a leap of faith and tried this, couldn't be happier. Don't build your own lithium MintyBoost, get this and use the saved time solving something more interesting.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections