There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Works with 1TB Drives after flashing.

posted by kagemusha on 10/29/2008

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:

Works with my 4 WD 1TB Greenpower drives.
    Cheap compared to major retailers.

Cons:

A little effort to slot the PCI card in.
    Requires a flashing for 1TB drives to be detected.
    Flashing is to be done in DOS mode.

OtherThoughts:

When flashing download the dos version.
    Boot into dos and flash.
    You might want to unplug other PCI Raid adaptors if you have any unless you know all the models and chipsets so as not to mess them up.
    In the flash program just do a automatic detection and it will detect your SiI3114. (Please check if your motherboard is also using the same chipset SiI3114 cause it will detect the motherboard chipset if it is using that raid controller)[You don't have to worry so much as there is a confirmation before the flash and updating the motherboard sata controller shouldn't cause problems and it might even work better >.<]
    To slot the PCI card in you can file on the notch. (Be sure to check the ports are not damaged as i have no idea if they can still cover it after filing)
    You can also align the card properly above the slot, sit a piece of sponge (About 1cm thick would be good) above it and slowly knock in into the slot with pliers or some heavy tool. (If you're using hammer please do it lightly after each knock)

Bottomline:

The cheapest PCI 4 port SATA Raid card i can find which can work with 1TB drives.
    Probably the cheapest way to build a NAS if you have an old P4 or even P3 lying around. Speed is more than enough for home use.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections