Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your reviews,
photos and videos here!

• Has Issues...No one received 4 mode light!!

posted by BlueBeam1 on 12/27/2010
    2 0

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:

Ok this is the Pros about the light, it really has some nice attributes about it but be sure and read my entire review before making a decision on this one!
    I would also like to note I did not receive the 4 mode light without strobe as advertised. Me and everyone else I know got the stupid 3 mode light with the High, Higher and slow flashing modes.

The light really is a nice and practical design for EDC. The machining and finish on my sample was top notch!
    Threads nice, smooth and lightly lubed. The light has very nice and pretty much perfect knurling for a EDC light. The light output is very good. It is BRIGHT! The beam is smooth and somewhat floody so it really isn't a pocket thrower but it is quite nice and really lights things up outdoors at 20 meters really really nicely. The beam tint and color are great on my sample and very smooth and pleasing to the eye.
    The light also has a very nice and sturdy pocket clip although it is not reversible so it can not be clipped to something like a hat and used like a headlamp. The clip is removable if you choose to do so but will scratch the finish during removal. The light will also tailstand for use as a candle.

Cons:

Ok now for the kick in the teeth! I am really disappointed in this light!! First off no one I know received the correct 4 mode light! If I had got the 4 mode light I might not have quite so many complaints.
    There are 2 useless modes on this light since the high and higher settings are placed to close together and the slow flash mode is just stupid so you get pretty much a really bright single mode light!
    The mode switching requires multiple trys to get it to switch modes and after you turn it off and back on you can never tell if it is going to remember the last mode used or switch modes. It is all erratic and unpredictable! The best way I have found to use the light is be sure I am in high when I turn it off that way if it switches modes it won't be the flashing one.
    The tail switch assembly was oxidized and needed cleaned between the spring plate and switch contact which I have come to expect from budget lights so no real big problem there. In the switch assembly there are 2 concave brass washers that have to be installed correctly to push the switch into the threaded brass holder when the assembly is screwed into the tailcap and on my light the washers were upside-down. The metal on/off button on mine would also rattle, which drove me nuts, but was quickly fixed by cutting a 7mm X 7mm cube of foam from the box insert that held the light and stuffing it into the hollow of the metal actuator button. I believe the clicky is also somewhat under rated for the current this light draws as well.
    On my light the head had to be screwed on really tight to get it to work and when I looked to see the problem I discovered the driver/pill is glued into the head making repairs difficult. Mine was repaired by making a ring of copper wire and placing inside the head so the top of the light body would contact the outside ring on the driver board.
    I also noticed the O-Ring on the lens is on the wrong side. It is not on the outside of the lens but it is between the lens and reflector????? If the light had two O-Rings, one on the outside of the lens and one on the inside of the lens the contact issue of the driver board making contact with the top of the body tube would be solved as well!

OtherThoughts:

I really was disappointed in the three mode version of the light I got. I never would have bought this light in the 3 mode configuration as it is offered. It's not that having a 3 mode light is "bad" because I have the Trustfire F23 which I love! The F23 has a good usable low and a nice and fast strobe. If the EastwardYJ J09 3-mode version had a real low, fast strobe and a working memory or at least no memory it would be a great light!!
    If I had got the 4-mode like advertised in the first place this would be an entirely different discussion though!

Bottomline:

As it stands DX is shipping the 3 mode to everyone I know that ordered even though it is advertised as the 4 mode. I don't think it is DX's fault with the mixup though because my box has the correct SKU.
    This is probably the brightest light offered by DX for a single cell Ni-Mh battery. Did I say this light is bright!
    I have to say this is one nice host and is a very practical and functional design and I like the concept alot but as it is the User Interface sucks on the 3 mode and has some minor issues with assembly of the light. Maybe the UI on the 4 mode will be better once this mixup is all sorted out!
    As it stands I would not buy this light untill I know it is offered in the 4 mode and the UI wasn't unpredictable like the 3 mode.
    If I knew I would get the 4 mode like advertised I would buy it in a heartbeat despite the minor assembly issues!!

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections