DX » Community » Reviews » TrustFire X6 SST-90 5-Mode 2300-Lumen Memory LED Flashlight with Batteries Set (3*18650)
  • 5 star 10 ( 83% )
  • 4 star 2 ( 17% )
  • 3 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 2 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• AMAZING. But be prepared to fix problems first.

posted by DrBlood on 03/16/2011

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:

- The machining and Quality of the metal parts is SUBLIME!!! Truly superb... Worth the cost alone!!
    - SST 90 is the biggest best single die led that's practically usable in a monster flashlight. - Massive show-off factor
    - After fixing it, i can say that it is so bright you'll be impressed no matter what other flashlights you have. It puts out 1600 REAL lumens on high mode
    - Double o-rings in body tube
    - The reflector is very smooth
    - The strap is very good and has a pouch for 3 cells and also a pouch for a backup light, perhaps 1*AA Size would fit well.
    With 3 cells in the light and 3 in your bandolier, you have some good runtime available.
    -Mode memory is a GOOD THING!!
    I usuall ypark it on low mode so it's not a brilliant shining star when i first turn it on.
    But i wish the mode sequence was,
    Lo-Mid-High-Strobe-SOS instead of high first.
    -Solid, Solid, Solid, feels like a mace in the hand

Cons:

-Product was DOA, pretty damn big con...
    -The Quality control is terrible, missing screws, really thin wire, some design flaws i couldnt live with and so fixed.
    -You really need to be an enthusiast with modding skills to make this light worth it.
    -The SST-90 LED was held in with only one screw, there was a hole for the 2nd one, they just didn't bother installing it and the heatsink paste was poorly applied.
    -The wires used to hookup terminals to the driver pill are thinner than thin, i mean like 50 guage, 0.55mm of copper conductor. This is pathetic and will not last in an application pulling 6 amps...
    -The lens retention ring has a temperamental thread that takes careful pressure to install straight, but i got it sorted.
    -The glass is not a coated optic.
    -None of the o-ring were lubricated.
    -The o-rings are mostly too small so they do not create an air/water tight seal
    -The box suffers from terrible graphic design.
    -The strap snap hooks will scratch off the anodising if used continuously.

OtherThoughts:

I improved it out of necessity.
    Replaced the dead Driver, added plugs and made the driver easily replacable in future.
    Replaced the o-rings that were too small-It seals properly now.
    Re-seated the LED, replaced missing screw with lower profile screws, heatsinked with silver based cpu grease-much better heat dissipation.
    Lubricated all o-rings and threads, now the threads are nice and smooth.
    Added large o-rings to the strap snap-on holes so that the clips won't scratch off the anodising.

Bottomline:

Brilliant if you can do the mods required to make it an exceptional product.
    Now that i have put a few hours into it, i have a product that i'm exceptionally pleased with, i can easily repair or replace all the parts including the driver, (i have a spare).
    If you are a capable modder or a flashlight enthusiast, you'll be very happy with the potential of this product.
    It's a shame its not better suited to everyone.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections