• 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Really Great GPS!

posted by igorsouz on 01/28/2012

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:more than 1 month

Pros:

I have this GPS for almost 2 years and it's a great device, very handful, fast acquiring and at the right size, not big as the 7" ones or so small as 4.3" or less.

- The bluetooth really works, however sometimes I need to speak loud to be listen. The contacts of my android phones was downloaded flawless (I tested with a Samsung Fit and a Samsung Ace, both worked), but a search tool would be nice to call directly from the GPS. Now, or I roll the list until I find the name, or I use the phone to dial. If I know the number, I can type directly in the GPS.

I had a Nokia 6110 Navigator and the GPS couldn't retrieve the contacts from the phone.

The Caller ID appears on the GPS, if the contacts is OK, the name will appear;

- The TV is a great feature, it works great in the city, but its receiver doesn't have a great sensitivity. I live in São Paulo and when I'm about 20km far from TV Globo, the signal vanished (means arriving at Via Dutra thru Marginal Tietê);

- FM Transmitter: see below;

- The others features like music and video player work, however they shouldn't be used with GPS.

Cons:

- The power button has a horrible internal design. Sooner or later, it will began to be stuck or fall inside, turning the act of power on or off in a nightmare.

The solution is simple but require to open the GPS and put the piece of paper between the button and the DIP Switch, and a "micro" drop of CA glue to hold the button on place;

- The FM transmitter is useless in cities like São Paulo. The FM band is too much crowded to the underpowered transmitter of the device. Besides, it's better to use the radio for music, as the speaker is loud enough to be heard when necessary;

- After aprox. 1 year of use, the windshield mount broke. I simply bought a generic one that I saw on the street for ~8usd. Almost all mounts (not only here on DX) has a 4 point fixing "clips", showed on the 3rd line photos (#5 and #6), so I just needed to put the GPS mount (photo #6) in the new windshield mount and everything was like brand new.

OtherThoughts:

- I installed the iGO Amigo and Primo to test, but the hardware is not powerful enough to run these versions of software, always giving a "Out of Memory" error.

Nevertheless, I've been using the iGO 8.3 with the lastest Navteq's Brazil Map, skins, streets name voice, radars, speedbumpers, POIs, etc without any problem.

- I really recommend this unit for those who want a GPS for a GPS use, with the option of a TV to spend some time in the traffic jams or to make the kids/wife entertained.

If you want a multipurpose device, to watch vídeos, listen music and anything else, this is not for you. It's a GPS.

- It has 2000 mb of internal memory, enough to put a lot of maps inside. I use it without SD card because I really think it's not necessary.

- There is a stylus pen, but I never use it. My big fingers can get what I want.

Bottomline:

- As said by the others, the software and the maps are old. I recommend to search on some foruns, like "gpsbra dot com", for new software and maps. It's very easy to install and in a couple of hours, you will know everything about updating your GPS.

- For the Brazilian speedcam database, google for "maparadar dot com", click to export for iGo 8 and you will get the speedcam.txt file needed.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections