Create Review

Share your reviews,
photos and videos here!

• Very Bright.. Could be better.

posted by sparktastic on 01/27/2011
    0 0

Involvement:General (knows how to use it) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:

Excellent design, with a nice deep aluminum mirrored reflector that matches the XM-L well. Probably one of the best designed tail caps for tail standing & grip too.
    Actually a pretty decent thrower for a large die LED. Obviously doesn't throw like a Q5 or R2, but the overall light output is three times as much as a these.
    Good O-Rings and overall construction.
    Mode memory works well.

Cons:

Relatively poor performance on a single Li-Ion battery once the terminal voltage drops below 4v. At 3.8v, output has dropped to only around 400 Lumens.
    Maximum light output occurs @ 10w draw from the power supply/battery (at battery voltages above 4.2V) and I would guess this would be in the vicinity of 700 Lumens. Although the driver is rated to take 2x Li-Ion batteries, there is no real point installing CR123's as the output is no greater and run time will be less than a single 18640. A battery extension tube that takes 2x 18650 might be worthwhile to double the runtime though. The forward clicky is a negative, when it comes to multi-mode lights IMO..

OtherThoughts:

If the stock driver is removed and a 8x AM7135 2.8A driver is installed, this light will be very impressive indeed. The replacement driver can be programmed to only three modes (H,M & L) and should provide a well regulated 700+ lumen output down to 3.6V.

Bottomline:

Good single 18650 host for the XM-L emitter providing decent throw and masses of light on high. Really needs a driver transplant to take full advantage of a single 18650. My favorite (out of four others I now own) XM-L host. Soon to have a 8x AM7135 driver fitted.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections