DX » Community » Reviews » Romisen RC-29 CREE Q5 WC 3-Mode 180-Lumen Convex Lens LED Flashlight with Strap (1*AA/1*14500)
  • 5 star 13 ( 68% )
  • 4 star 5 ( 26% )
  • 3 star 1 ( 5% )
  • 2 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• First look

posted by TeXHo on 01/19/2011

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:less than 1 day

Pros:

Focusable beam;
    3 useful modes, electronic voltage regulation;
    Can use AA batteries, NiMH and Alkaline;
    Convenient size;
    Tailstand;

Cons:

No "half-press" functionality on the switch - to change modes you must click the switch off and then click it on again.
    Larger than 16340 lights.

OtherThoughts:

I just got this light and I am hurrying to post a review so people that need more info can make up their minds. First of all, I have used Romisen RC-C6 (sku.26792) for more than 6 months as my primary working light. It has been dropped, thrown, smeared in all kinds of dirt and washed in running water. So far, spare some minute scratches it is like new. This one seems to be built just as my trusty little RC-C6, so all should be good on that front.
    Brightness and batteries:
    Sadly, I left mi RC-C6 at work so no comparison with that one, but I had my sku.29095 for comparison. I used a multimeter with Lux meter for the measurements, I will post a picture of the test setup later. Just consider that these measurements can be compared only to one another, since they are in no way absolute.
    AA NiMH 1.2V
    sku.29095 - 90Lux
    RC-29 - 38Lux(Mid), 132Lux(Hi)
    AA Alkaline 1.5V
    RC-29 - 42Lux(Mid), 148Lux(Hi)
    14500 LI-Ion
    RC-29 - 104Lux(Mid), 330Lux(Hi)
    It is obvious that with a 14500 this one is on very bright light. All measurements taken on the widest focus (flood). You can check beam pattern shots when I upload the pictures.
    Current measurements at the switch:
    AA 1.2V - 0.34A(mid), 1.36A(hi)
    AA 1.5V - 0.34A(mid), 1.39A(hi)
    14500 - 0.25A(mid), 0.84A(hi)
    Sorry, I don't have patience to run a burn-time test, anyways it is heavily dependent on the type and state of the batteries.
    The illumination quality is by far superb to any light without lens. You can have a VERY wide flood of uniform light with more than enough brightness or a darkness-piercing throw that projects the square image of the emitter hundreds of meters away. In this light you get this plus the option of a battery saving mode and a cool strobe.

Bottomline:

If the size and battery choice suits you - this light is all you have been waiting for.
    If they make a light like this in a 16340 size, with this LED and regulation hardware, it will be the perfect pocket light for me. For now this one does the job better than anything else I've seen.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections