• 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Fantastic light!

posted by JohnnyMac on 04/01/2011

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:

The first thing I noticed about this light when I took it out of the packaging was the amazing quality of the fit and finish. Everything about it is impeccable, from quality of the anodized coating to the wonderful fit of every piece. The threads are the smoothest, best machined threads I've ever seen on any of my torches. There was no grease on any of the threads but they screw down like butter without any squeaks or traces of roughness. Inside and out you can tell the quality. It's my first Romisen but if all their torches are made like this any of them are a safe bet.
    The light from it is as bright or brighter than my X2000. I haven't run it from an alkaline AA as I only use 14500's in my torches of this size but I can tell you it's bright as hell. Modes work well but there is no mode memory (100%-50% & Strobe).
    Switch is a forward-clicky and appears to be of good quality. It allows you to partially depress the switch until you find the mode you want. Once you are in that mode a full press locks it in.

Cons:

My biggest complaint about this light is also one of the things that makes it so unique looking - the tail piece. While great for stability when standing it up for candle mode, it absolutely SUCKS for carrying it in your pocket. It will tear up your pocket and your pants in no time as well as being very uncomfortable. It's great for throwing in a bag or wearing in an oversized holster. While it fits into the holster of my X2000, it's just a touch longer and the velcro on the flap doesn't completely cover itself.
    In full or partial flood mode you can see the infamous Cree ring. This is the first zoom-to-flood I've owned (I have quite a few) where you could see the Cree ring.
    The flood could be a bit wider, too, but when focused it's quite excellent.
    I have experienced a bit of an issue on occasion where it won't turn on for me. A twist of the threads brings it back. I suspect that I need to properly grease them and check for conductivity between the sections.

OtherThoughts:

Would be nice if the modes were high/low/strobe instead of high/medium/strobe. The medium is a bit too bright when doing close up work. A low of 10%-20% would be much more useful than the 50% medium.

Bottomline:

If you like zoomers then you owe it to yourself to get this one! It's a practical light as long as you don't carry it in your pocket.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections