DX » Community » Reviews » High Temperature Tape (10mm x 10m / 300-C)
  • 5 star 17 ( 71% )
  • 4 star 7 ( 29% )
  • 3 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 2 star 0 ( 0% )
  • 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Really works at high temperatures

posted by zmeios on 12/20/2008

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 day to 1 week

Pros:

The best thing about this tape is that it really works well under high temperatures! I needed some to fix a contraption involving pumped air and a heater rod that gets very hot (I estimate over 400 Celsius at the business end). The tape did not even shrink! At those temperatures, regular masking tape loses its color, then shrinks, then starts to melt or worse yet - catches fire.

Cons:

None really, except maybe color. You are stuck with black, which may not be suitable if you are taping something 'exposed' - where transparent might work better. But it's not a big deal.

OtherThoughts:

This works perfectly for taping temperature sensors and repairing various electronic and kitchen devices that generate heat.

Some people also use it to tape transistors to their radiators in electronic devices. I'd still recommend that - for better t conductivity - instead of tape, you use Mica insulators (available at hobby stores) and some thermal conductive paste. Mica is brittle, unpleasant to work with, and only comes in one color, but is a good insulator and is really great at conducting heat.

Bottomline:

Recommended to have around for a quick repair job, or DIY electronics. Any project that uses a thermal sensor (diode, thermistor, whatever) can benefit from this! Also good to stick a high-range thermometer to a workpiece in various hobby areas.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections