• 1 star 0 ( 0% )
Customer’s impression:
There are no customer's impression yet.
Create Review

Share your thoughts and
Get DX Points!

• Handy external drive

posted by andreiRCW on 01/22/2013

Involvement:Expert (understands the inner workings) - Ownership:1 week to 1 month

Pros:

Thoroughly tested the drive as soon as it arrived. It performed to specs on all tests.
    All supported formats confirmed. (ok, except a few exotic ones like high speed dvdram)
    Write performance is good and disks created by this drive are clean and read performance is excellent read by other drives.

Cons:

Power requirement is too large.

OtherThoughts:

This unit comes with 2 USB cables. One to power the drive and one to transfer data. My guess is that actually both suck power.

Plug them into different USB ports, I mean one on one side, the other on the other side of your laptop (if you have such).
    I had problems with the drive becoming disconnected soon after spinning up the disk when I had it connected to two adjaicent USB ports. When I moved one cable to the other side of the laptop, the problem disappeared.

However, the power consumption was also evident by the fact that the power supply to the laptop heated up significantly more then usual.

Bottomline:

An excellent little external writer to have.

Post comment

WHY CHOOSE DX.COM?

Get great weekly deals and offers like: Collections